The existence of a chronic illness should not keep a person from living a happy life. If your loved one suffers from a chronic illness, your role is very crucial in helping them pursue fulfillment in the midst of such a difficult circumstance. The question is: are you prepared to help them?
As a provider of non-medical home care in Venetia, Pennsylvania, we offer these recommendations on how you can lend support to a loved one struggling with a chronic illness:
- Learn about chronic illness
In the USA, a person who has a chronic condition fits the following criteria:
– Inability to carry out at least two daily living activities such as eating, dressing, or bathing, among others
– Acquired a disability that keeps the person from doing at least two activities of daily living
– Requires consistent supervision to ensure their health and safety
If your loved one fits the aforementioned criteria, they are eligible to receive in home care in Pennsylvania and other forms of care services.
- Understand that some chronic illnesses may no longer be treatable
As soon as you accept the fact that most chronic conditions are not treatable, you will gain a better perspective on your loved one’s situation. You will then be ready to provide them with the care they deserve.
- Understand that your loved one’s pain is invisible to you
Be sensitive to their pain. While you may not know how they actually feel, remember that it’s as real to them as they are to you. This thought can be a source of comfort and consolation.
- Understand that providing care can be exhausting
If you’re the primary caregiver, helping your loved one deal with their pain can be physically and emotionally stressful. It’s a natural reaction and should be dealt with proactively. Give yourself time to rest and recover.
- Understand that managing a chronic illness will need a healthcare team
Medical experts are not the only ones who can take care of your loved one. Providers of home care services are also part of this team. You will have to work with them to improve your loved one’s quality of life. Basically, you are not alone.
At Happy At Home – In Home Care Inc., we help you by providing quality care for your loved ones with chronic illnesses. Contact us if you need our services. Share this article with others who might need our help.